Thursday, January 29, 2009

Twitter Worthy...or is it Tworthy?

Well, I did it. I crossed over. Over 1,000 that is… 1,000 followers on Twitter. I’m not going to go into a lengthy dissertation here about what Twitter is. Simply this, if you’re not twittering (verb), you should be. Do a search on Google for Twitter and I’m sure you will find ample results to help you educate yourself. Furthermore, if you’re reading this blog and you are out in the Social-sphere, or whatever we’re calling this stage of Internet interconnectivity these days, and you haven't heard of Twitter, you must be blind, deaf & dumb (or ignorant :)

When I started twittering a couple months ago as @ChazAtCaz, I was truly curious about just how quickly I could and would amass a following of any significance. I wondered, “was this going to be some hokey MySpace sort of thing or what?” Well, that certainly is not the case. Twitter is proving to be a valuable communications tool for me with people within my inner circle as well as people on the outer fringes.

I have a running dialogue of 140 characters or less per tweet (noun) with my local (upstate NY) colleagues as-well-as people as far away as Malaysia, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Holland, Peru… you get the point.

And a crowning achievement in the determination of my Tworthy-ness, I am now being followed by Robert Scoble - @Scobleizer, author, self proclaimed tech geek, blogger and social media marketing phenom, who has swelled his following to over 50,000. So, that should put into perspective my achievement. By the way 50,000 is way, way up there. I think that’s probably as many as I have ever seen.

It will be interesting to see where Twitter goes. As with all things truly social, Twitter is free. That can’t last though. They have to monetize it somehow. I’ve heard several suggestions and I’d be shocked if there weren’t a contingent of people working on that very thing.

One novel suggestion that I heard was to charge people extra for more than 140 characters. They could use 140 as a multiple. Free account = 140, then there’s the next level at 280 and then 420, etc. My sense is that it won’t work because of its limited revenue potential. More likely will be the ad frenzy that struck the blog-sphere in response to bloggers desire to monetize their blogs. We’ll see.

At any rate, I like Twitter. So much so that I recently set up a stream for Cazbah too, which you can find at @cazbah_net. I’m still curious to see how this new form of communication, known as Micro-blogging, will affect our business. I will definitely keep you posted – no pun intended.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would become rather upset if Twitter started going that route and it became a haven for advertising. I'm inundated with enough on a daily basis through radio, tv, email and other services I use. If anything, ads almost always ensure I *don't* use your service. At least ones I see or hear over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

Please give me your comments. I will look them over and post them as soon as possible! Thank you!